Sunday, May 26, 2024
Homes urgently needed for:

The danger Lilies pose to cats

We were contacted recently as this little kitten came into contact with a vase of Lilies in her home, which are deadly to cats. ‘Bean’ became unwell and was taken to Medina Surgery, the owner’s Veterinary practice. After a thorough examination, blood samples were taken and tested confirming that ‘Bean’ had indeed been in close contact with the Lily’s.

‘Bean’ was then transferred to Pet Doctors and put on IV fluids for 48 hours, and although she has returned home, as she was getting stressed being away from home, she is still having blood tests to monitor her progress. She has a 70% chance of a full recovery, so we are all praying she does make a full recovery.

Bean at Pet Doctors.

We started a Fund Raiser on Facebook and people were amazing. Due to people’s kindness and generosity, we have managed to cover the cost of little ‘Beans’ treatment, and as long as she doesn’t have any complications during her recovery, we have been able to eliminate the financial worry for her owner.

Bean at home.

The danger of Lilies…

Lilies of the “daylily” and “true lily” families are extremely dangerous to cats. The whole plant is TOXIC. That is, the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in any container they may be in is toxic! A cat or kitten will get kidney failure within 24 to 72 hours of contact, leading to death if the cat isn’t treated early enough.

Please be careful what flowers or plants you grow in your garden and/or display indoors as even if your cat doesn’t eat a Lily, they may catch pollen on their fur and ingest it when they clean themselves.